Gynaecomastia (enlargement of male breasts)
Gynaecomastia is enlarged male breast. Although this happens commonly during adolescent growth spurt it usually involutes back to normal size. However in some individuals it remains enlarged and therefore a cause for embarrassment and psychological disturbance to the individual. Surgical correction of gynaecomastia is therefore performed to avoid "social embarrassment" and “improve self image“
|Duration of operation||1 1/2 to 2 hours|
|Hospital Stay||day care procedure (may require 1 day admission)|
|Stitches||Removed after 1 wee|
|Recovery||3- 4 weeks|
This usually involves suctioning out the fat content and excision of glandular component. In selected cases gynaecomastia could be corrected by liposuction alone when the enlargement is predominantly due to fat. It is usually done as a day care procedure under general anesthesia and patient is sent home on the same day. Two suction ports of 5mm size are made adjacent to the enlarged breast. Power assisted liposuction of the enlarged breast tissue is performed using tumescent technique. The residual tissue is removed through a periareolar incision made at the margin of the lower areola (the dark skin that surrounds the nipple). The skin and the areola are lifted up and the breast tissue with surrounding fat is removed. A suction drain is placed before suturing the wounds. The reduction in size is usually permanent.
|After Surgery|| 1) light diet on the same day.
2) Antibiotics and pain relief medications for 8-10 days
3) Plasters and drains are removed during the outpatient visit on second post operative day.
4) Sponge bath is advised until 7th postoperative day when plasters are removed and patient is advised to take bath.
5) Sutures are removed on the 7th postoperative day and compression garments are advised to be worn as many hours as possible.
6) Pressure garments are advised to be worn for as many hours as possible.
7) Strictly avoid shoulder movements for 3 weeks
8) Driving, swimming and gym activites can be resumed after 4 weeks.